7 great spread betting tips to improve your chances of winning
Spread betting tips are ways you can use to improve your chances of winning when it comes to trading on the markets, and while they aren’t guaranteed to work every time, they’re still good things to keep in mind.
Here are seven of the best spread betting tips that will help you improve your profits and reduce your losses, whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been at it for years.
Before you start trading with spread betting
#1 - Start small. If you're going to invest £5 in your first trade, don't expect a big payout. You'll need to make more than 60% profit just for the initial £5 investment. However, if you want some learning experience before investing any more, £5 is a good start.
#2 - Let time be on your side when picking an asset's price direction - even if it means waiting five minutes for the right opportunity (or eliminating those opportunities altogether).
This will help ensure you don't enter the trade too late or too early and end up with a less than desired return. And if there are trades that seem promising at first but fall through? You can always make another trade later on!
Before placing an order
1. Don't rush into anything - Get as much information about a potential trade as possible and make sure that you're 100% confident in what you're going to do. If not, stay on the sidelines!
2. Don't ever believe the guy on TV - Remember, the idea behind spreading is that you have an even chance of profiting off your trades, so never trust anyone with a recommendation or promise of guaranteed profit when it comes to spreads betting because there's no such thing.
3. Stick with the rules- There are many different types of contracts and it's important that you understand what they mean before putting any money down on them.
After placing an order
Placing a correct order should be easy with the help of these seven spread betting tips. This will not only make it easier for you to place an order, but it'll also give you a better chance at winning.
Remember that the more risks you take on, the higher the potential payout is. These riskier bets might result in losses, but they could also lead to significant profits! Just be sure that each bet is carefully calculated before placing it.
When dealing with brokers
It is crucial that you find a good broker because they will have the contacts and knowledge required to get the best possible odds on your bet.
The difference between success and failure is often small, but when it comes down to it, a few thousand pounds can make a massive difference. Be aware that some brokers are better than others, so try not to go for the cheapest one you can find.
If you find one that charges exorbitant rates then it's likely not worth using them as they may not know what they're doing or offer unrealistic prices just so they can take advantage of people who don't know any better.
Always keep an eye out for those who require upfront fees because there's a good chance they're either incompetent or charging too much money for their services.
When opening a new position
Spread Betting is all about probabilities, but this doesn't mean that you can't refine those probabilities with a little insider knowledge.
1) Don't bet when you are in emotional turmoil. Emotions are unpredictable and are likely to be reflected in trading behaviors, resulting in losses. Avoid putting on trades when you're angry, upset or disappointed because the odds of success decline dramatically under these circumstances.
2) Stick with tried and tested strategies for taking long-term positions.
If things go wrong
1. If you’ve chosen a poorly performing, low volatility asset, stop and reassess.
2. When things start going wrong, change direction. This can help avoid more losses.
3. Be open-minded: there are many different ways to take advantage of a falling market or leverage a rising one, so keep an open mind when it comes to adjusting the parameters of your strategy
4. Understanding the business cycle will help you get the best out of all types of markets 5. Regular diversification is a good way to offset both upswings and downturns.
6. Sometimes chasing losses and giving up after small gains is a common but often harmful mistake that leads investors down the wrong path
7. Remember that trading doesn't have to be risky!
Spread betting tips bottom line
Spread betting involves placing a bet on the direction of an asset's price. If you believe the price will go up, you're long in that position. If you think it will go down, you're short in that position.
The value of a trader's net worth is typically equal to the negative value of their open positions. There are no margin calls or commissions with this type of trading which means traders have more money at their disposal and can stay in trades longer without being stopped out because they are out-of-money or have exceeded their permitted risk limits.
It's not unusual for leverage ratios to range from 50:1 up to 500:1, depending on the broker used and the trading platform used.