- Guest Post
How to start earning money as a copywriter in the UK
Copywriting isn’t an easy job to get, but once you’ve got it, it can be a very rewarding career path to take. If you’re trying to get started in the field and looking to earn money as a copywriter in the UK, there are quite a few things you need to know first—
not just about writing, but about marketing and sales too. In this article I’ll be covering everything that aspiring copywriters need to know when they first start out. Ready? Let’s jump right in!
What is freelance copywriting?
Freelance copywriting is one of the easiest and quickest ways to make some extra cash from home. It's also a great way for new writers who are looking for experience and exposure.
Copywriting is usually paid per word or by page, so you can set your rates accordingly. The rates will depend on your writing style, industry knowledge and what you're willing to charge.
Read our anyword-ai-content-writer-review
One way to find out how much other freelance writers charge is to use freelancer sites like Elance. You can list your services, set a rate and wait for someone to come along and offer you work at that rate. You might get some low-paying jobs but there's no harm in trying - they may lead to bigger gigs!
Another option if you're looking for more regular income would be doing freelance copywriting jobs on sites like Fiverr where everything starts at $5! If you want the chance of better paying gigs then it's worth signing up with different freelancing sites like PeoplePerHour which has been around since 2006.
Freelance Copywriting Jobs - Market Size and Demographics
The freelance writing industry is one of the largest industries and it's growing rapidly. In fact, it's estimated that by 2020, 70% of content will be created by freelancers. The industry is great for anyone looking to work from home, or someone who needs supplemental income.
There are some barriers to entry but with perseverance and determination, you can break through them. Here are a few tips for becoming a freelance writer:
1) Get started on your own blog.
2) Build an audience on social media channels.
3) Join a group or association relevant to your area of expertise.
4) Write guest posts and articles about topics related to your area of expertise.
5) Be willing to do any kind of writing job - whether it's editing an essay, creating infographics, drafting ad copy, etc., there will always be something available if you're willing to take the time to search for it!
A brief history of advertising, and what it means for you
Advertising has come a long way since its inception. From live-insurance and soap operas, to billboards and digital ads, advertising has evolved into what we see today. Take a look at some of the changes below.
-In 1883, N.W. Ayer & Son was founded by two brothers who were trained printers but didn't know much about advertising and marketing so they started their own agency.
-In 1898, John E Kennedy became president of TBWA Worldwide, now known as TBWA\Worldwide. He was one of the first advertising professionals who had an interest in public relations outside of traditional advertising campaigns.
Tips on getting started
1. Consider what type of writing you enjoy doing most: non-fiction, fiction or poetry. If you're not sure, ask yourself what interests you and what makes your heart sing. There are many different types of copywriting jobs, so do some research and see which work bests suits your skills and interests.
2. Look for opportunities on job boards or contact marketing agencies directly: They post their vacancies often on sites like Monster, Indeed and LinkedIn
3. Attend networking events: This is an excellent way to make connections with people who might be able to help you advance your career
4. Create a portfolio of your work: This can be done by creating blog posts about subjects that interest you.
Qualities required to be a good freelancer
Freelance writing is an excellent way for people to make a living from home, which is why it's become more and more popular over the years.
But freelance writing isn't for everyone, and if you're thinking about going into it, then there are some qualities that you'll need to be successful at it. The first quality that freelancers need is creativity.
You can't be successful at freelance writing if you don't have any creativity or originality in your work. You also need to be able to communicate well with others, whether they're clients or other writers like yourself.
Finally, you'll need persistence and patience because this type of work takes time before you see any benefits.
The Writer’s Toolkit - Software I Use Every Day
I am a freelance writer, and I use software for everything I do. Without the right tools, I would be lost. It's not an exaggeration to say that these tools are my livelihood.
The following list is my most essential software for being productive, organized and successful while working from home as a freelancer.
1) Google Drive Google drive is where I store all of my work-related files (documents, spreadsheets and presentations). With Google drive, everything is saved in one central location that can be accessed by anyone with an internet connection.